Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Review: Wonderstruck


After watching The Invention of Hugo Cabret, I rose from my chair and applauded the cinematography. Not every director gets to frame shots like that. But then once I read the book, I realized that all the frames had been previously drawn by Selznick. If anything, he deserved a lot more credit. I'm happy to say that the quality of the illustrations are maintained in Wonderstruck.

Having lost his mother, Ben must face his home being sold. While going through his mother's personals, he discovers his father's identity and leaves for NYC alone. Despite being a minor --  a deaf minor. Rose's story on the other hand is told in pictures. She also ran away from home to find her mother. And yes, both stories intertwine with a sentimental ending. Throughout the book, the narration is moving and easy for a middle-grader to follow.

Thank you Selznick for illuminating us again with a sweet message of hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment