Monday, September 28, 2015

Review: Hello, Goodbye, and Everything in Between


Love meets circumstances

Clare and Aidan are the perfect high school couple. They share numerous pleasant memories and most importantly they "dove" each-other (John Green would be pleased that more teens are giving the word love a personal touch). But now, Clare wants to break up. Tonight! It's logical that separate colleges will cause them to drift into a long distance relationship, and it's far better, to break up in good terms than later on when they are miles apart. But can these two say goodbye without resenting the other?

It's impossible not to feel a pang of sorrow when reading this book. They are not ending their relationship because someone cheated, or simply stopped caring. Aidan knew from the start what college to apply, and Clare had no choice due to some rejection letters. Sometimes you need to let someone go for your own good and theirs. 

However, despite their good reasoning, Aidan took out his anger with his best friend Scotty and Clare was far too self absorbed, that even her friend Stella had to mention it (in case we hadn't noticed)

"You've been asking me why I'm too busy for you. Why I haven't been there for you. You haven't once asked me where I've been."

All in all, a realistic situation but with characters too into themselves to relate.


2 comments:

  1. Agh, I've seen so many mixed reviews for this book! I'm a huge Jennifer E. Smith fan and the premise of Hello, Goodbye, and Everything In Between sounds SO good (and heartbreaking) but from what I've heard the characters aren't that likeable. From what you've said I don't think I would like Aidan or Clare :/ I'll probably try and still give this a go... Great review anyway!

    Zareena @ The Slanted Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed The Geography of You and Me, but this one just didn't click. Hope you like it :)

      Delete