Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Book to Movie Adaptations: To change an ending or nah

Tokyo Fiancée 


Author Amélie Nothomb wrote the book with the same title based on her life experience in Japan. Although, the film maintained a similar script as the novel, with Amélie meeting Rinri at a coffee shop for French classes, to their dates and courting process, the heartbreaking ending was entirely changed to provide the viewer with something easier to stomach. It's even more magical to look at the Japanese customs and scenery on the big screen than on my eBook, but I have to admit that above all else this new ending pleased me even more. A great move.





Paper Towns


John Green's Paper Towns film adaptation was long awaited, casting Nat Wolff and Cara Delevingne. The novel centers around the disappearance of Margo Roth Spiegelman, and Quentin's lustful obsession to find her. Their relationship felt odd throughout the book, and I was sad to see the movie pursue this script. But thinking things true, Green had an important lesson about it taking two people to carry on a relationship, and not just one imaginative mind. Although, I would have loved a romantic ending, I'm glad that the film remained faithful to the novel and kept such lesson.  




2 comments:

  1. I watched Paper Towns a couple of days ago, and I was really glad that they stuck with the lesson at the end, too! I think it's important since so there's often such a big focus on romance in movies.

    I haven't heard of the other book/movie, but I visited Tokyo last month and I miss it so much. Sounds like they'd give me the Japan fix I've been missing! haha.

    Shaunna @ Books Over Bros

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you had a great time in Tokyo!! It looks wonderful. And yes, it was nice to see a different type of romance film.

      Delete